The aim of the Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is to promote the teaching profession. The bursary encourages students to complete a teaching qualification in an area of national priority. Beneficiary of this bursary will have to teach in a public school for the number of years they collect the bursary.
Funza Lushaka Bursary recipients must apply for the bursary online every year. The placement information must also be completed by recipient every year. Graduate bursar are placed ina suitable teaching school by Provincial Education Department (PED). It is also important to know that bursar cannot choose their placement and placement cannot be deferred for any reason. Bursary recipients are expected to teach in the public school they are assigned to.
Recipients will be given an amount that will cover most of their monthly expenses which may include; tuition, meal, accommodation, books and learning materials. Small allowance can also be given for monthly living expenses.
Funza Lushaka Bursary Requirements
the application for this bursary is done online every year. Here are important guidelines for Funza Lushaka Bursary.
- Applicants who have a criminal record, charged with misconduct or dismissed from work are not qualified for the bursary.
- Immediate families or Higher Education Institution employees are not qualified.
- Only online application is accepted, hard copies are not accepted by the programme.
- Applicants must print the completed on-line application.
- Applicants must not have any other teaching qualification.
The two qualifications funded by Funza Lushaka Bursary:
- Applicants applying fie undergraduate studies or a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (B Ed) that is specializing in Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10-12).
- Graduate studies or One-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).The bursary also accepts combined qualifications like combine specialization in the Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3) and Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), or the Intermediate Phase and Senior Phase, and the Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10 –12).
Funza Luzasha Bursary Priority Areas
- Foundation Phase (i.e. Grades R-3) – Foundation Phase (with preference for African Languages)
- The Intermediate and Senior Phase (i.e. Grades 4-9) – Preference is given to teaching major in TWO of the following subjects: Languages, Mathematics and, Natural Science & Technology.
Preference is also given to a teaching major in TWO of the following:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Agricultural Technology
- Civil Technology
- Computer Applications Technology
- Electrical Technology
- Engineering Graphics and Design
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences
- Mechanical Technology
- Physical Sciences, Languages, Technical Mathematics and Technical Science
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
General Eligibility for Funza Lushaka Bursary:
- Applicant must be a South African citizen
- Must have good academic performance
- Graduates willing to complete a teaching degree or want to take teaching as a profession (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) and must have been accepted at an accredited public University.
- Applicants that want to change career and become teachers. They must show dedication and passion for the teaching profession, ready to work with young people, ready to face challenges and have integrity.
- Applicants must include two of the priority area subjects as a specialisation in their teaching qualification.
For first time entrants to university:
- Must have a proof of admission to bachelor degree studies at matric/Grade 12 level.
- Have a minimum of level 4 rating at matric level in the subject which the applicant want to teach.
- For students who want to specialize in Foundation Phase; a pass in Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy at Grade 12 level and a minimum level 4 pass in the Home Language are required.
- Students that have completed matric prior to 2008 when Mathematics was not mandatory must have at least 50%.
- Students that want to specialize in teaching Technology subject including CTA must have at least level 4 pass in Mathematics.
For new applicants already at university:
- Must pass all the modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at their respective Higher Education Institution
- A score of a minimum average of 55% across all the modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at Higher Education Institution
- Minimum average score of 55% in modules studied relevant to the priority area teaching specialization in the last/most recent year of study at university
For new applicants enrolling for PGCE:
- Completion of a recognized qualification to be admitted for a PGCE
- Major in Psychology and an African Language for a PGCE in Foundation Phase Teaching
- Have at least TWO recognized priority subjects at second-year level
- Adequate modules in the recognized priority subjects
For existing bursary holders:
- Must pass least two-thirds or 66.6% of all the subject modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at a recognised university
- Pass at least two-thirds or 66.6% of priority subject area modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at Higher Education Institution
- Passed the priority subject
- Proceeding to the next year of study
- Achieved at least 50% average across all subject modules
How To Apply Online For Funza Lashaka Bursary
- Visit www.eservices.gov.za.
- Register your online profile by inputting your personal details.
- Log in with your username and password to the system.
- Go e-Services menu and choose Funza Lushaka Bursary.
- Select the Application menu, follow the steps and complete all the required fields.
- Accept the confirmation declaration and you will receive feedback on the status of your application through email.
- Print your online application and submit it to the university you are accepted and registered.
- Together with the application form attach a certified copy of your ID and your academic records:
- A copy of Grade 12 result or certificate, for 1first year students coming out of Grade 12
- Copy of latest academic transcript, for students already at university
- Submit all attached documents and submit it to the applicant’s university coordinator, otherwise, the application will be rejected.
Don’t hesitate to give us feedback on this post, you can also drop a suggestion on how we can serve you better.