Application is now open for the Jakes Gerwel Fellowship Bursary for the 2022/2023 academic session. The application details will be discussed below.
The Jakes Gerwel Fellowship Bursary is currently inviting all interested candidates to apply for the ongoing bursary. Jakes Gerwel Fellowship was established in 2017, this programme is funded by Allan Gray Orbis Foundation in honour of Professor Jakes Gerwel who is a teacher, educational leader and a close confidant of the late Nelson Mandela.
The aim of the JGF is to make teaching an aspirational career with the objective of improving the quality of education in South African Schools. This fellowship has helped over 10 South African Students to pursue a career in Teaching at partner universities.
The Graduate Teaching Fellowship was established in 2021 to identify high-impact graduates that are committed to qualifying as a high school teacher.
ABOUT THE JAKES GERWEL FELLOWSHIP BURSARY PROGRAMME
If you are a graduate teaching student preparing to start the Postgraduate Certification in Education (PGCE), the Graduate Teaching Fellowship is for you.
This programme is aimed at students that want to start PGCE at the fellowship partner university. The partner universities are;
- The University of the Western Cape
- The University of Cape Town
- The University of Pretoria
- The University of Johannesburg
- The University of the Witwatersrand.
The beneficiary of this fellowship will have access to personal coaches, mentors and teaching experts, they will also take part in elective activities. All beneficiaries that qualify to be high school teachers after completing the PGCE will proceed to a two years induction stage where they will be posted to partner schools as qualified teachers.
JAKES GERWEL FELLOWSHIP BURSARY PROGRAMME – WHAT IS COVERED
The Graduate Teaching Fellowship is a full university scholarship that provides covers with the following:
- PGCE tuition fees, laptop, residence, printing needs and a monthly stipend.
- JGF’s pathways to impact as expert teachers, educational leaders, and social entrepreneurs are all connected with this intense reflective and leadership development program.
- A national Community of Practice that focuses on specific educational topics.
- Professional and pedagogical coaching for the first years of teaching.
- Access to a dedicated Teacher Coach for the first 2 years of teaching who will offer support and guidance as you learn about your teaching profession and the relevant school culture.
- A chance to be mentored by a JGF Mentor, an outstanding teacher who will provide guidance, best practices, and social assimilation into the teaching profession and teacher identity.
To qualify for the Jakes Gerwel Fellowship Bursary, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements. Failure to meet all the requirements will make the application ineligible:
- Open to all South African citizens and all permanent residents in South Africa
- Applicants must not be older than 30 years of age as at the time the bursary will close.
- Open to applicants that have completed an undergraduate programme or are in their final year
- Have a good academic record
- Eligible for PGCE enrollment (MRTEQ does not recognize postgraduate qualifications)
- Willing to study towards a PGCE qualification in 2023
- Students that have commenced their programme or willing to commence at one of these partner universities: UWC, UCT, UP, UJ or WITS
- Applicants must be passionate about teaching and education
- Intend on becoming a high school teacher
- You must be fully dedicated to taking part in the JGF program.
- You must share JGF’s vision of social change in South African education.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE JAKES GERWEL FELLOWSHIP BURSARY
Interested applicants of the Jakes Gerwel Fellowship must take an eligibility quiz, only those that pass will receive information on the application process.
You can also nominate someone you know that is qualified for this programme. Those that are nominated will also have to take the eligibility quiz above.
We advise applicants to download the JGF-Application-Guide pdf before they proceed with the application.
Also, applicants that pass the quiz are to provide the following certified documents during the online application. It is compulsory for applicants to submit all documents.
- ID document OR South African permanent residence
- Full tertiary academic record
- Application or acceptance evidence to study at one of the partner universities on the institution’s letterhead.
IMPORTANT DATES & SELECTION
Below are the fellowship important dates:
- Closing date: 25 July 2022
- Telephone interview: 1 to 31 August 2022
- Selection: 1 to 3 October 2022
- Award of fellowships: 30 November 2022
- Onboarding: December 2022 and January 2023
All successful applicants that pass the application stage will be emailed or by telephone to be notified of the telephone interview. Shortlisted candidates will be invited by the fellowship to the Selection Camp. After the selection is done, successful candidates will be notified and then onboarded to the fellowship.
The closing date for the Jakes Gerwel Fellowship Bursary is 25 July 2022. Failure to submit before the closing date will render your application unsuccessful.
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
To get more information or make an inquiry kindly contact the Jakes Gerwel Fellowship directly:
Contact number: 083 589 2933