The recently concluded Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) Investment Challenge virtual awards ceremony is the first for the organization. This ceremony takes place after a six-month CSI initiative aimed at giving students and learners insight into trading JSE-listed shares using a virtual trading platform.
Schools and universities are to form a team and each team was given virtual money of R1 million to invest in a simulated trading platform that looks like the real livestock market.
The head of transformation and CSI at the JSE, Idris Seedat in his word said “This year’s participants and winners can be proud of themselves. A big well done to them and the teachers, lecturers, mentors, and parents who supported them as they continued to excel despite experiencing disruptions and uncertainties brought on by the pandemic.”
The team that won the school game will win a prize that worth R180,000 while the team that won the universities game will go home with a prize worth R60,000 and a trip to an international stock exchange.
Seedat made it know that there is a need for agility due to the pandemic. His word, “The impact of Covid-19 required us to be innovative and find ways to work with the participants and mentors on virtual platforms. Social media platforms, which are easily accessible, such as Facebook and WhatsApp, enabled us to reach all of the learners and students.”
He also said that because of this, this year’s winners should hold their heads high, as this victory is far bigger than simply coming first place.
Winners of the 2020 Investment Challenge
Below are the winner of this year schools and universities challenge:
The Schools Challenge
- First place: The Queens, Mpumelelo Secondary School, Mpumalanga
- Second place: The Winners, Mpumelelo Secondary School, Mpumalanga
- Third place: MP Stars, Mpumelelo Secondary School, Mpumalanga
- Fourth place: MP Unstoppable Winners, Mpumelelo Secondary School, Mpumalanga
- Fifth place: 2020 Winners, Mpumelelo Secondary School, Mpumalanga
- First place: CETT, The Settlers High, Western Cape
- Second place: SMIT_77, Hoërskool DR Malan, Gauteng
- Third place: The bizzar investors – ACCP, Acudeo College Crystal Park, Gauteng
- Fourth place: Ma’at – ACCP, Acudeo College Crystal Park, Gauteng
- Fifth place: Cash Crusaders, Lawson Brown High School, Eastern Cape
- First place: Prophets of Profit, Reddam House Durbanville, Western Cape
- Second place: Jasons Wealth, Orient Islamic School, Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Third place: Cleaver for President – ACCP, Acudeo College Crystal Park, Gauteng
- Fourth place: PBHS Jackboys, Pretoria Boys High School, Gauteng
- Fifth place: Black Labour – White Wealth – ACCP, Acudeo College Crystal Park, Gauteng
Winning teams in the University Speculator portfolio:
- First place: Piker, University of Cape Town
- Second place: Inkunzi Traders, UNISA – JHB
- Third place: US1_StellenboschBoys, University of Stellenbosch
“2020 has certainly not been an ordinary year the world over and to see the tenacity at which the participants played this year’s game, and their investment strategies during times of volatility give us confidence that in these learners and students, South Africa has exceptional future leaders and investors,” said Seedat.