Apply for the 2020/2021 South African Medical Association (SAMA) bursary. Here is how to apply for the South African Medical Association (SAMA) bursary 2020.
The South African Medical Association (SAMA) was founded on 21 May 1998, it unites doctor groups with diversified concerns. The history of the association started in the 19th century when doctors from mainly Cape Town, Grahamstown, Durban, Pietermaritzburg and Kimberley, formed their own associations. These separate associations were brought together to form the National Medical Association of South Africa (MASA) in 1927.
Currently, SAMA is now a professional association for both public and private sector medical practitioners. Through the terms of the Companies Act, it is a non-profit organization and under the terms of the Labour Relations Act, it serves as a public sector. SAMA serves the interests and needs of its members in all healthcare-related circumstances.
About the South African Medical Association (SAMA) Bursaries
The aim of SAMA medical education bursary is to support South African citizens who are studying in medical courses in pre-graduate studies towards an MB ChB or equivalent. Holder of this bursary can renew it but must have satisfactory academic performance. Holders will receive the first part of the bursary payment after showing proof of registration at a University and previous academic result. In the mid-year after the holder has submitted the most recent academic result, the remaining will be paid.
The SAMA bursary gives a monetary value of R20 000 per year per student which will be paid into the students’ accounts to help with the tuition fee. The bursary is not to be used for accommodation, books or any other related fees.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizens
- Applicants must currently be studying in medical fields(MB ChB or MB BCh) at a South African university
- Available for students who are in 2nd up to 4th year of their studies. First-year students cannot apply.
- Have good academic records
- Proven financial need
- Historically disadvantaged groups are encouraged to apply
How to Apply For SAMA Bursary
- Download and complete the SAMA Bursary Application Form. (pdf)
- Attach the certified copies of the following required documents to the application form:
- Most recent examination results
- Two written testimonials
- Household Proof of Income
- South African ID
You can send your application form and complete documents through either of the following methods:
- Post: The Bursaries Officer, The South Africa Medical Association, P O Box 74789, Lynnwood Ridge 0040
- Email: Ms Grace Baloyi at firstname.lastname@example.org
The bursary provider will only notify shortlisted and successful applicants. If you did not receive any response by the first day of May, please consider applications as unsuccessful.
Opening and Closing Date
The application is going to open and close on 15 March 2020.
Applications received before or after these dates will not be considered. The process of selection for bursaries will be finalized by 30 April 2020 and the successful candidates will be contacted.
You can contact the bursary provided using the information below:
Mrs K Pienaar