Application is currently open for the Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa Bursaries. We will share the details of the application process and other information below.
The management of the Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa Bursaries is calling on all eligible students to apply for the ongoing bursary for the 2022/2023 session.
We can trace the history of the South African Pharmaceutical Association (PSSA) can be traced back to 1885 when 7 pharmacists met at King Williamstown. After their meeting, branches were formed across South Africa and many pharmaceutical societies were developed.
In 1946, the Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa (PPSA) was formed and other societies were amalgamated. The vision of the PSSA is to provide support for the pharmacy profession in South Africa, improve the use of medication and greater patient care.
The Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa is inviting all eligible students to apply for bursary funding, for the 2023 academic year.
PSSA BURSARY PROGRAMMES – FIELDS COVERED
The PSSA Bursary is available for all undergraduate and postgraduate students studying courses related to Pharmacy. The undergraduate bursary will be given to BPharm students that are in their 2nd or subsequent year of study.
This bursary will be given to students for just a year but they can submit an application to renew the bursary every year. The bursary will be given to students using the following criteria: students’ financial circumstances; academic achievements and other financial assistance received.
The PSSA Postgraduate Bursary is for Masters and Doctoral students in the Pharmacy programme. This bursary will be given to students for just a year but they can submit an application to renew the bursary every year.
Candidates are selected based on these 2 criteria: project viability and academic potential (which counts for 60%) and financial need (which counts for 40%).
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PSSA BURSARIES
To qualify for the PSSA Bursary, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements. Failure to meet the requirements will make the application unsuccessful. The requirements are as follows:
- South African citizen
- Applicants that have completed Matric
- Studying full-time towards a BPharm qualification
- You must be starting your 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of study (1st-year students will not be funded)
- Applicants must be studying at a recognised tertiary institute in South Africa
- You must be a PSSA student member (membership is free, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info)
- Passed all your previous subjects/ modules
- Achieved a minimum overall average of 60% at mid-year
- It is available to applicants that have a proven financial need (with a family income of less than R130 000 per annum before tax)
Below are the requirements to qualify for the PSSA bursary at the postgraduate level:
- South African citizen
- Completed Matric
- Most have an undergraduate qualification
- You must be studying full-time towards a postgraduate (master or Doctoral) Pharmacy qualification
- Students studying at a recognised tertiary institute in South Africa
- You must be a PSSA student member (email email@example.com for more information)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE PSSA BURSARIES
UNDERGRADUATE BURSARY APPLICATION
The application for the PSSA at the undergraduate level is currently closed and it will reopen in June 2022.
Applicants are expected to submit a certified clear copy of the following required documents. Failure to submit the documents will make your application unsuccessful:
- ID document
- Full tertiary academic record/ transcript
- A Motivational letter from a pharmacy lecturer
- Financial declaration (proof of parents/ guardians/ household income: certified copy of payslips if employed; balance sheet if self-employed; affidavit if unemployed or working within the informal sector; proof of pension if applicable) duly signed by the applicant and person responsible for your financial support
You are to submit the application form and the required document using any of the following means:
Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education (FPE)
PO Box 75769
435 Flinders Lane
Note: Faxed or emailed applications are not accepted.
POSTGRADUATE BURSARY APPLICATION
To apply for this bursary, kindly download the Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa Bursary Application Form (Postgraduate) and fill it out.
You are to attach a clear copy of the following certified documents. Make sure all your documents are submitted:
- ID document.
- Full tertiary academic record/ transcript.
- A Proof of income.
- A project summary, with your research project summary with a maximum of 800 words.
- Itemised project budget
You can submit your application and other supporting documents through mail to Ms Nitsa Manolis: firstname.lastname@example.org
(USe “PSSA Bursary Application: Postgraduate” in the email subject line).
Fax: 0866 159 835
NOTES ABOUT THE PSSA BURSARIES
- Applicants must submit certified copies of their documents – do NOT submit original documents.
- PSSA bursary will NOT take care of existing loans or outstanding student debts.
- Applicants will receive an email confirmation once their application has been received.
- The management will contact successful applicants if you did to receive any mail consider your application unsuccessful.
- Read the Guidelines for the award of the SAAHIP post-graduate bursary (.pdf) before applying.
CLOSING DATES FOR THE PSSA BURSARIES
The application for the undergraduate PSSA bursary is closed already but it will open by June while the Postgraduate application is still open and it will close by 2 May 2022.
No application will be accepted after the closing date.
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
Kindly contact the Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa directly for any questions or queries:
Contact Person: Ms Nitsa Manolis (FPE Administrator)
Tel: 012 470 9562